Monday, December 21, 2020

A Few Lines for Winter's Lila and the More Ahead

When you're in the middle of it, it's not too soon to look for a bit of horizon where lies a glint of light. Be wholly present and if you can, feel the future even if it's only in song, sing on.

"Come, my friends, 'T is not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die..."

Not yet, I say, not yet. But I feel confident in saying that most of us could use a vacation. Yet, there is work still before us. We must act, not merely endure. We continue to rise up, do what we can, hold each other close. It's what we will do for each other and we're learning everyday how to do for others we don't even know. Who knew Dharma would be so important?

Winter is here in Bristol. It's time to light a fire. In times like this---wait, there are times like _this_?---I surely count blessings and I grieve for those less fortunate, less lucky.

Truth is, I hope you're not going too far from home just yet. I hope you're staying especially close. We've found a few other ways to create adventure during this time under the stars, east and west.

I want to say it's getting easier but I don't think that's quite yet true. Thank goodness for the technologies, at least as means, that give us that chance to talk, see each other some. And that's not a simple matter either for the challenges of goodness before us. In our "we'll have to make do" time, we've made time for one another. Let's keep doing that. We can step forward, best we can, and we will have each other. Let's do that again and again. If you need a hand, let me know.

Now, there are other things we have to receive for the lila, for better and worse. When the break goes the other way and you must feel more deeply the shadows of helplessness that follow in the light of facts. It's important to go to every place where there's soul. Even these harder truths, 'cause its personal sooner or later. Then you have to take extra care of each other.

"His soul has in its Autumn, when his wings
He furleth close; contented so to look
On mists in idleness—to let fair things
Pass by unheeded as a threshold brook.
He has his Winter too of pale misfeature,
Or else he would forego his mortal nature."

I would not forego this mortality for anything that claims better or more. No reward would be greater in heaven for me. For to know heaven, is to have had such friends. Keep looking here, and we'll find each other again soon. Stay strong in will and we will make the rest possible because we're not alone.

Have a Sunday and stay by the fire, inside and out.